If you or your loved ones are flying on Delta Airlines for your vacation, you must be aware of what you are allowed to bring and should not get to avoid any issues at the airport. In addition, Delta Airlines may have policies you’re unaware of that could cause unnecessary stress on your holiday.
Here’s our complete guide to everything you should be aware of Delta carry-on sizes, fees, and limitations. Be sure to read it before you get on your plane!
Table of Contents
What Are Delta’s Carry-On Size and Weight Restrictions?
Delta carry-on size must fall within these parameters:
- The baggage’s total length + width plus height must not exceed 45 inches of a linear inch.
- The length, width, and size should not exceed 22 by 14 by 9 inches.
- Handles and wheels are included in these figures.
There isn’t a weight limit for Delta carry-on bags, except for these areas:
- At Changi International Airport (SIN) in Singapore, luggage must not exceed 15 pounds.
- Capital International Airport (PEK), located in Beijing, China, domestic carry-on bags should weigh less than 22 pounds. The rules of each airline are applicable internationally.
- For Pudong International Airport (PVG) in Shanghai, China, carry-on should not exceed 22 pounds.
What is Delta’s personal item policy?
Like how Delta is not charging passengers for carrying bags, passengers are allowed to bring an item that is personal to them for free on every flight. The only restriction for Delta, similar to other airlines, is that the item must be securely and safely placed underneath the seat before you.
Although the airline doesn’t provide all of the kinds of bags are allowed to bring aboard for personal use, the company’s bag policy offers some guidelines, such as:
- Camera bag
- Laptop bag
- Small backpack
- Diaper bag
One thing to remember is that Delta includes a camera and diaper bag as personal items. This means you can’t carry these items in with your items except if you’re carrying one in your carry-on!
What is Delta’s Personal Item Size?
There are no particular restrictions on Delta airline’s personal item size, other than that it should be able to fit in the space at the front.
This is a common practice across several airlines, with only some airlines placing dimension limits on personal items. If it fits into the seat in front of you, your luggage is ready for flight.
What is Delta’s personal item weight limit?
The airline does not have the size and weight limitations for your personal items either. If you’re in a position to carry your Delta personal belongings on and off the plane on your own and fit in the seat in front of you, there’s no concern.
What is Delta’s carry-on size policy?
If you’re a Delta fan, you’ll be glad that Delta offers all passengers a free carry-on, in addition to their personal belongings, regardless of what kind of ticket you purchase. First, however, you’ll have to ensure that the item is within the size limits set by Delta.
For Delta the carry-on size should not surpass the size of 22″ x 14″ x 9″ (56 cm 36 cm 23 cm). In addition, the airline states that the bag’s carry-on dimensions total should not exceed 45 inches. If you add the three numbers, they should equal at least 45 inches. For instance 22″ + 14″ + 9″ = 45″ which is the highest limit.
What is Delta’s carry-on liquids policy?
Delta does not limit liquids but adheres to TSA guidelines regarding traveling with liquids. Straight from the website of the TSA, liquids are controlled by rule 3-1-1, which is:
- Liquids can only be purchased in 3.4-ounce (100mL) bottles.
- Each container must be contained in one transparent plastic bag to hold a quart.
- There is a limit of 1 bag of fluids for each traveler.
What are Delta’s under-seat dimensions?
- Delta personal belongings must be able to fit under the seat directly in the front. The most common Delta seat dimensions include 20″ x 15″ x 11″
- Use bags or backpacks that measure 17″ x 13″ x 9″ or less to fit under-seat storage.
- Any backpack or bag that is larger than the dimensions of the under-seat could be considered a carry-on item and need to be stored inside an overhead storage compartment.
What are Delta’s baggage weights and sizes?
It is important to note that the Delta baggage policy is pretty simple for Delta airlines. These are:
- You can check only two standard bags, cases, or boxes on Delta flights. All additional baggage falls under the Delta excess baggage category. The only difference is that Delta’s standard checked baggage costs are described in the previous paragraphs.
- Dimensions for Delta luggage – no more than 62″ (157 cm) in total (length + width + height) dimensions for each piece of luggage.
- The weight limit for Delta baggage is not more than fifty pounds (23 kg) per piece. However, Delta One, First, and Business passengers are permitted the capacity to take 70 pounds in baggage.
- Boxes must be factory sealed and in their original state to be placed in the checked hold on a Delta aircraft.
What are Delta’s Gate Checking Fees?
If your carry-on luggage or personal belongings exceed Delta dimensions for carry-ons, you may need to check it through the gate. Although Delta is not liable for a gate-checking charge, you will be charged $30 for the first checked bag and $40 for your second.
If you have already checked two bags and need to verify your carry-on baggage, then you must pay an extra baggage fee ranging from $85 to $95 for each bag, based on your flight schedule.
What are Delta’s and Carry-On Restrictions?
Delta Connection flights tend to be smaller aircraft with only a tiny overhead space. As a result, travelers aboard Delta Connection flights can only carry personal items that fit inside overhead storage bins or beneath the seats.
Bags for carry-on bags on Delta Connection flights will be checked at no cost and returned once you have disembarked. Ensure your carry-on bag includes a pink gate-claim tag to show your identity.
What can I carry with me on Delta flights?
Although many items are permitted in your carry-on bag and personal items while traveling, consider items not allowed for your security.
Most countries limit the sizes of containers containing aerosols, liquids, gels, and pastes – even in empty containers in security.
Make sure to pack ahead and then place more liquid items in your luggage that you have checked.
- Limit the use of gels, liquids, aerosols, and pastes to an amount of 3.4 ounces
- Place all the items in a Zip-top bag that is a single-size quart made of clear plastic.
- At security, please take out your bag of quart size and place it in an appropriate bin.
Is a backpack considered a personal item on Delta?
Yes, The backpack is a personal item when flying. It is considered an individual item on Delta airlines. It’s essential to be aware of the distinction between the Delta carrying backpack and a smaller one considered personal items.
Choosing a backpack that measures at least 18″ x 13″ x 9″ or less will ensure that your personal belongings are safe and can fit underneath your seat. It’s crucial to be aware of the size of your backpack as larger backpacks have to be carried over and could be considered carry-ons.
What are the fees for sports/musical equipment in Delta?
Everything you carry is subject to Delta baggage rules as well as Delta carry-on rules. If your bags for sports or other similar items are within the limits mentioned above, they will be charged by the guidelines.
If you’re carrying a small instrument to fit under the seat or into the overhead compartment, Delta does not count the dimensions of your device.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can 24-inch luggage be a carry-on?
No. As required by FAA, the luggage could be over the limit of 22″” x 14 9”.
Are carry-on items included in Delta’s Baggage Liability?
You are not liable for items left unchecked if they are handed over to the staff for storage on the flight or to travel.
How big can a carry-on be on Delta?
The items you carry must be small enough to fit safely in the compartment that stores them or on the seat directly in front of you.
Can I carry baby formula in my carry-on?
Yes, as long as it will fit in your carry-on bag and does not exceed 100 milliliters or 3.4 Oz. You can ask the crew of your plane for help if you have any unique requirements.